Monday, March 11, 2013

My Florida Garden, Downtown St. Petersburg and Our Neighborhood

My Florida Garden

My garden grew and grew and grew; that is, until the tomatoes got powdery mildew.  I guess I had the containers too close together so there wasn't enough air circulation.  We got some nice tomatoes anyway that kept us going until we went back to Tennessee.





In spite of the fungus, the flamingoes liked the tomatoes.  

Flamingo attire courtesy of pinterest

Remember that other "great" idea from pinterest I told you about?  The one with the spiral red and green lettuce?  


Well, my finished project should have been entered on the "pinstrocity" website.  It was horrible, nothing like it looked in pinterest!  To begin with, the first seeds I used were expired (by only a month!) so most of them didn't grow.  I really wanted to try this so we went to lots of stores and garden centers looking for red lettuce.  Whatever kind of red lettuce they showed on pinterest was NOT the kind I used.  On mine, you could hardly tell the difference between the red and the green and for whatever reason, it did not have a good germination rate.  FAILURE.  Here's what it should have looked like.




Downtown St. Petersburg


Downtown St. Petersburg is really one of the prettiest cities I've been in.  There's so much to see and do, we need to make an effort to get there more often.  It's only a couple of miles from our campground.

A tree big enough for Curly to mark!

A lovely park downtown

The downtown marina




Our Neighborhood


As lovely as the city of St. Petersburg is, our neighborhood next to the campground seems to be a poorer section of the area.  Nonetheless, we still enjoyed our morning walks with Curly.

Oh, look!  A pineapple in their yard!
 Staghorn ferns are plentiful.  They grow outside in this part of Florida and we've seen several that had obviously been hanging from the trees for many years.




Back at our lot, one of the prettiest sights is looking at the palms from our driveway at dusk.



No comments:

Post a Comment