Sunday, October 21, 2012

Blueberry Pie and Lots of Fun

Blueberry Pie

I got a request for my raw blueberry pie recipe so here it is.  Actually, I don't really have a recipe.  Well, I do but I don't use it.  Here's what I do.
The Ingredients
 I use a quart of frozen blueberries that I get from my brother in Georgia.  There's something about his blueberries that make the most wonderful pie.  Anyway, I let the blueberries sit in a colander under they're thawed and drained of any excess liquid.  Meanwhile I'll make the crust.  I took 8 ounces of raw almonds.  I used to use whole raw almonds but I think the blanched raw almonds are a little less bitter.  Process the almonds with about 7 pitted medjool dates and a dash of salt.


Almonds, Medjool Dates, Salt


The mixture should hold together when pressed tightly with your fingers.  Cover a spoon with Saran Wrap to press the mixture into a pie plate very tightly.

Once the blueberries are thawed, you can make the filling.  Blend about half the berries; then add one banana and blend some more.  At this point you can add honey or agave for sweetener but I don't find it necessary.  Besides, I'm not that fond of the taste of honey.

Add the rest of the berries and blend some more.

Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.  At this point the mixture will be very soupy.  Trust me....it WILL firm up.  Blueberries have enough natural pectin so you don't need to add anything else.

Put it in the refigerator for about 4-6 hours.  I usually wait an hour before I cover it with Saran Wrap so the filling won't stick to the wrap.
That's all there is to it.  Before you know it, you'll be ready to dig in to a wonderfully, raw blueberry pie with no additives or preservatives.
My pie today was a little weepy because I didn't drain the blueberries good enough but it still held its shape and was delicious!

Lots of Fun

The 13th Annual Cumberland River Challenge Ride was a lot of fun yesterday.  We had 107 riders do 62-, 31-, and 11-mile rides.  Our group, The Friends of the Trail, raises money from the ride to maintain and expand the trail that we walk on not too far from our house.  Part of the trail is paved and that is part of the 11-mile ride.

I was up at 4:00 a.m. to finish baking the pork sausage.  We left for the park about 6:15 a.m. to help set up for registration and breakfast for the riders.

All my baked oatmeal was eaten and there were two pieces left from the pork sausage rings that one of the guys wanted to take home so we whisked it away for him.  Here are some pictures from our long day yesterday.
Rudy with the guys waiting to go man the rest stops.

Rudy took a picture of me for a change.
 
All set up for breakfast for the riders.
 
Displays

Riders looking at the trail and the routes.
 
Our local police lead the ride for the first couple of miles.

And they're off!

Meanwhile we all hang around talking smart until the last rider gets back.

Now I'm off to pack the camper.  This time next week we'll be stopped somewhere in Alabama on our way to Florida until March 2013!


No comments:

Post a Comment